Friday 4th May – Sunday 6th May
Holiday Inn Express, Leicester
Iqra is a joint AKYSB and ITREB initiative for 23-39 year olds with a desire to develop a deeper understanding of our faith whilst also socialising, team-building and having fun. The weekend will be intellectually stimulating and an opportunity for group discussions on topics such as:
- Ways of understanding and misunderstanding Islam
- Thinking about the Quran
- Notions of Authority in Islam
- Muslim Traditions of Spirituality and their artistic expressions
Content will be delivered by the renowned Ali Asani, a professor of Indo-Muslim and Islamic Religion and Cultures at Harvard University, who offers a dynamic learning approach whilst encouraging questions and debate. Iqra also provides a platform for like-minded individuals to meet and connect in a creative and educational environment. Learning will be supplemented by activities such as team-building, yoga and mindfulness, music and art as well as evening entertainment.
Iqra promises a weekend of self-discovery, reflection, creative learning and the building of new connections within the community.
Please note that non-Ismaili spouses and relatives are most welcome.
We look forward to welcoming you to Iqra. Full programme itinerary will be announced shortly.
- To provide a forum in which to explore the contemporary issues facing Ismailis as well as other Muslim societies
- To better understand Ismailism within the wider context of Islam
- To strengthen awareness of our identity and our value systems
- To meet new people and build lasting connections through team-building activities and socialising
- To challenge one another and debate topics in a stimulating environment
- To build a stronger connection to the community, our faith and one another
- 23-39 year olds
- Good command of English
Non-Ismaili spouses and relatives are most welcome to attend.
No background knowledge required. Pre-reading materials will be circulated ahead of the weekend for those interested.
Applicants are asked to complete an online registration form with their personal details and a few questions about them.
Applicants will then be requested to submit payment. After this, the application is complete and you will hear from the Iqra team within a few weeks with further information about the weekend.
Please click here to launch your application form.
The application deadline is midnight on May 2nd 2018.
- The details you give in your application form will be used for the administration of your application and as the basis for your selection
- Any personal information provided will be used in accordance with the data protection policy detailed within the form
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions
- Is travel included? Iqra Residential will be held from 4-6 May at the Holiday Inn Express in Leicester. Participants will be responsible for their own travel to and from the residential.
- Do I need to take a day-off on Friday 4th May? No, arrival will be in the evening on Friday 4th. Exact timings will be provided at a later date.
- Do I need to have any existing knowledge about any of the topics? No, this residential weekend is suited for all levels. Pre-reading materials will be provided for interested participants.
- How much does it cost? Participant contribution to the residential is £160. This is based on a sharing room. Single rooms are available at an additional cost of £39 per person.
- Is there any financial assistance available? This will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
- Do I need to stay at the hotel? Yes, this is a residential weekend and all participants are expected to stay on site for the duration of the programme (2 nights). Participants will be expected to arrange their own accommodation for any extra nights, prior to or after the residential.
- Are all meals included? Yes, all meals will be provided. We work closely with the catering team to ensure that all dietary requirements are met. Participants are requested to inform us of any specific dietary requirements in the application form.
- Are non-Ismaili spouses and relatives welcome? Of course, please apply!
Fahreen Virani, Neena Jivraj, Sugra Alibhai, Leila Esmail
Contact us at email@example.com