Saturday 20 July - Sunday 28 July 2019
Howtown, Lake District
Participants 16-18 years; Facilitators: 21+ years
Al-Ummah Europe is a 9 day residential programme all about exploring your inner self, developing future leaders, forming lasting friendships, and exploring our cultural and religious identity.
Al-Ummah Europe is designed for 16 – 18 year olds and comprises a series of team building activities, challenges and experiences set in the picturesque backdrop of the Lake District. Each day will also feature workshops, discussions and activities designed to stimulate discussion in order to create a stronger appreciation, understanding and ability to articulate the ethics and values of our faith.
Health and Balanced Lifestyle
• Encourage an holistic approach to personal development focusing on
physical, spiritual and intellectual challenge by choice.
Personal Growth & Future Leaders
• Nurture future leaders by providing the space for skills development, self-
expression and confidence building.
• Instil the tradition and ethic of service and active citizenship in our youth.
• Promote a proactive attitude towards stewardship and a sense of
responsibility towards the Jamat, the wider community and the environment.
• Bring together individuals from a variety of different backgrounds and
celebrate the wealth of diversity and traditions across the global Jamat.
Pluralism & Diversity
• Gain an appreciation for our globe’s rich diversity, understand the power and
importance of pluralism and explore the role of the youth as global citizens.
• Foster a sense of identity and belonging to the Al Ummah brotherhood and
nurture lifelong friendships by facilitating an engaging, fun and safe
Appreciation of Faith
• Nurture the youth to create a stronger appreciation, understanding and
ability to articulate the ethics and values of our faith.
Participants – 16-18 years old.
The camp is for Ismaili youth aged 16 – 18. Applicants are mainly from UK jurisdiction Jamats, however we welcome applications from all over the world providing they can attend the 9-day camp in the UK.
The programme is open to anyone between the age of 16- 18 who are looking to:
- Challenge themselves physically, intellectually & spiritually.
- Enhancing their leadership skills by providing opportunities for skills development, self-expression & confidence building.
- Develop a greater appreciation and strong ability to articulate the values and ethics of our faith.
Facilitators – 21-35 years old
We are looking for facilitators who have experience working with the youth and have a passion for positive youth development. Being an Al – Ummah facilitator is an opportunity to enhance your skills in communication, problem solving, critical thinking and leadership.
As a potential facilitator, this is your opportunity to shape the lives of the participants, inspire them, and leave a lasting impression. It is a truly rewarding and humbling experience to be a role model to your participants during and after camp.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Create and maintain a safe, positive, nurturing, and comfortable environment for participants.
- Foster strong relationships among participants to feed into the wider Al – Ummah brotherhood concept.
- Responsibly care for participants over the 9 day programme including during outdoor / physical activities.
- Attend mandatory training sessions pre camp to fully equip yourself with camp content, logistics and scheduling.
- Work collaboratively with the Al -Ummah project team to develop and deliver camp content including evening entertainment programmes.
Skills we’re looking for
- Ability to facilitate engaging and meaningful discussions, reflection opportunities, and learning opportunities throughout the programme.
- Strong critical thinking skills and poses the ability to foster critical thinking in participants.
- Ability to be a mentor and serve as a role model with positive values.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Passion and experience working with youth inside / outside the Jamati context.
We welcome facilitator applications from all those aged between 21 and 35. We are seeking a well-rounded camp team that reflects a diversity of cultures, interests, careers, and educational backgrounds.
Al-Ummah Europe is all about challenging yourself, pushing your boundaries and through this, exploring yourself further. It is a great opportunity to build lasting friendships, develop your leadership ability and embrace diversity, all within the principles of our faith. This is a life changing experience for both participants and facilitators, and always leaves lasting memories.
Al Ummah enjoys a strong relationship with The Outward Bound Trust – a UK based charity that equip young people with valuable skills for education, work and life through adventurous and challenging outdoor learning activities.
Combining this relationship with Outward Bound with the dedicated time to exploring identity, provides all participants with a once in a lifetime opportunity for self-development, reflection as well as foster a sense of belonging to the wider community.
Our enthusiastic, motivated and high energy team of facilitators are essential to the camp experience and will ensure that every participant makes the most of the camp opportunity. Our well rounded team will be able to offer support, guidance and mentoring throughout and after the camp journey.
“Al-Ummah was a great experience. I made lots of new friends and tried many new activities that I wouldn’t have thought I would have tried, as well as learning more about our faith. It was an experience never to be forgotten”
“Facilitating at AUE 2014 was truly an eye-opening experience, from which I learnt a huge array of skills, virtues and experiences that I know will stick with me for a lifetime. Bonds were formed between facilitators and participants that I am witnessing still being strong, months after we all separated! It was hugely rewarding to watch the participants grow emotionally and mentally and in character through the programme. An invaluable experience that I would recommend to anyone!”
We welcome all applications from those aged between 16-18 years. All participants are invited to complete the application form , providing as much detail as possible.
Please note, this programme is usually oversubscribed and therefore we cannot guarantee that everyone will secure a place on camp.
Successful applicants will be contacted via e-mail. Unsuccessful applicants will also be contacted and placed on a waiting list.
We look forward to receiving your application soon!
We welcome applications from facilitators aged between 21 – 35. All interested applicants are invited to complete the application form , providing as much detail as possible.
Please note, the facilitator selection process will involve a video interview.
All facilitators will be required to attend all the pre- camp training sessions and induction.
Further details can be found on the application form.
We look forward to receiving your application soon!
Please note, refunds will only be issued in exceptional circumstances and on a case by case basis.
Financial assistance is available and all requests will be considered. Please contact the Project Lead.